Today marks the one month anniversary of my student teaching. It doesn't feel like a whole month has actually gone by. It's crazy! I've done so much in the last month and I think because it went so fast, it's been almost difficult to reflect. Luckily, for my weekly capstone class, one of our only assignments so far has been a weekly reflection. That helps. I literally feel like I haven't had the time, strength, energy, etc. to actually sit down and think about it all lately.
Well, the first thing I know is true: I know I'm in the right career. For sure. Even though I'm still learning (and always will be), the last week or so has been the first time I've felt very comfortable doing all the things I do in the school, as a guest. I feel like I'm really connecting with the students now. I knew that wouldn't happen right away, so I'm thankful that it has now. I've also learned almost all of their names; there's just one class that I'm still working on. So overall, I'm feeling really good about it.
My communication skills have improved drastically (not just in the classroom - in every aspect of my life). That is - I often have trouble getting the words out that I want to say, and when I do I stumble. I think I often think too fast and don't slow my talking down enough. I've been getting so much better. I've also, under the encouragement and supervision of my cooperating teacher, been improving my confidence level and what I say. Sometimes I think that when I talk, I don't have a filter - I'll just come out and say things that probably don't need to be said. Not necessarily things that are inappropriate but things that show that I'm still wavering in my confidence level. But again, getting better. Finally, although I'm still skating the line between how to assert myself as a teacher (especially in a classroom where I'm only a visitor) and how to be friendly, I think all of that is slowly becoming more clear to me.
I can't believe I only have 2 months left. That's daunting in a way because I have SO much to do in that time, plus thesis stuff and my capstone paper, and interviewing for jobs, but I think when it's over I'm going to be upset. My friend Kristina just left her student teaching in Italy to come back here and start (study abroad students go half and half for the semester) and she was so upset to leave her students and school (not to mention Italy - I don't blame her).
Well... time to go to mounds of work. This is the first Saturday I've had off in weeks and I'm grateful.
No comments:
Post a Comment