Monday, February 13, 2012

A question

"Ms. H, do you sing good?"
That's the question one of my students asked me today.
My students don't know that I've been a musical theater fiend since I was their age - in 8th grade. They don't know that I sang in chorus for 8 years, that I sung in an all girl's barbershop quartet for 3. That I've been nominated for a regional musical theatre award. That I've performed in no less than 20 shows.

What they do know is that I'm their teacher for 3 months. That I attend college. That I tell them to open their books to page 394 (pat yourself on the back if you got the reference). That I pull up in the morning in front of the school and say "good morning" to them all. That I collect and grade their homework. That I plead with them to be quiet in the last two periods of the day. That I teach them about social studies and make them work with partners almost every day.

Now they know that I'm helping with their production of Annie, Jr.

So, I smiled, and I nodded. I think I sing pretty "good," though I'm a little out of practice.
This started a chorus of, "I want to hear you sing!!!!!"

In good time, perhaps. Maybe.


1 comment:

  1. Jess, it's great that you might be able to combine two things you love in the same job. I had to google the reference--Harry Potter, something Snape says, right? And although I know you teach social studies and not English, I'm also wishing you'd informed your student about singing "well" instead of "good".
    So what does Annie, Jr. leave out? The songs about the depression, like "We'd Like to Thank You, Herbert Hoover" and "You're Never Really Dressed Without a Smile"? I can't for a minute think they'd remove "It's a Hard Knock Life" or "NYC". It's not like the whole cast dies in Act 2, like "Into the Woods" (oops, spoiler! :)

    ReplyDelete