And I'm taking a couple of days to rest. And organize.
I have learned so much in student teaching already that it's hard to catalog it all. I don't think I even can. A lot of it has to do with actually being in a school for 40 (unpaid) hours a week, behind the scenes and also front and center. I haven't taught yet but Monday is my test drive - I'll be teaching 2 of the 8th grade classes every single day until the end of April. And every week, I'll add on another class - which means I'll have less time to plan during the day and more time to teach. Which, I guess is the point!
Right now, since I'm just getting back into it, lesson plans are daunting. I'm procrastinating hardcore because I have a sort of writer's block - I'm stuck - how do I get my students to understand something, in an interesting and educational way? I'm really hoping that as I plan more, my teacher brain will kick in more than it ever has before and allow me to plan lessons with (relative) ease. Because once I add the 7th grade in two weeks, I'll be doing double the amount of work. And I'm already doing a lot.
But I'm not complaining - because that's what I have to do, to be a good teacher. Work hard. Plan lessons. Always take in the needs of the classroom and individual students. As much as teachers today get a bad reputation, I know I picked the right career.
-Jess
No comments:
Post a Comment